Wednesday, November 19, 2008

ROBINHO says Manchester City can be bigger than Real Madrid – and he aims to be there to see it.

The £32.5m Brazilian, the son of a sewage farm worker, has grown up smelling of roses.

But, at 24, the man once dubbed “little Pele,” claims the best is yet to come, for him and City.

Robinho said: “It is not easy to be compared to other players. Pele is incomparable, the king of football. You will never get anyone like him, but I hope to get as much success as him, if not more.

“I came to Manchester City as I see them growing and getting bigger. Can they be as big as Real Madrid? I hope so.

“I hope to play here for many years. I hope to make history at the club and become one of the great heroes of Manchester City.”

Robinho, snapped up with minutes to spare on transfer deadline day in August, has quickly become a hero with the success-starved City fans.

Robinho came from the rough neighbourhood of Parque Bitaru in Santos to achieve fame and fortune with Real Madrid before his British record move to Manchester.

He said: “In Brazil there are so many good players, some even better than me! I took my chance when I had it. When I was 18, I was handed my debut for Santos and I took my chance in the first team.

“For me, the beautiful thing about football is scoring, dribbling and taking on players. That’s what I like to do.”

City’s fans have been treated to some magical moments – and Robinho promised them there will be many more.

He said: “I always can improve. Shooting with my right foot, shooting with my left, scoring with my head. I know I can do better.”

City, backed by the limitless millions of Sheikh Mansour’s Abu Dhabi consortium, are struggling to cash in, with only one win in eight league matches.

But Robinho aims to spearhead a revival.

He said: “Maybe this is the best form of my career. I am enjoying it.

“My aim is to become the best player in the world. I hope I can do that here.

“We know we are a developing side but we can win the UEFA Cup this season.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment